by Emily Waldrep
Woodville Police responded to a call from the manager of the Stagecoach Inn at noon on Oct. 29 regarding a person who was late checking out, which led to the arrest of a Nathan Collier, a 50-year-old Woodville man for Possession and Inhale of Volatile Chemicals.
The manager said that he witnessed a male subject lying on the bed in the hotel room with a can up to his mouth inhaling it. The can turned out to be an aerosol can of air that is commonly used to clean computer keyboards.
"The can contains Iso-butane," said Captain Mike McCulley of the Woodville Police Department. "That is the same substance that many people use to inhale."
The butane can burn the skin of people who inhale the substance, and is highly dangerous and addictive.
"In all the years that I have been in this business, the people who abuse [butane] are some of the worse abusers," McCulley said. "It does the most harm the quickest to your body. As soon as you start doing it, it effects the brain cells and lungs."
"Inhalants don't get talked about very much, because not many people know much about them," McCulley said. "But in my opinion, they are one of the worst drug addictions in the entire country."
Possession and Inhale of a Volatile Substance is a Class B Misdemeanor and is punishable by up to 180 days in jail and/or a fine not to exceed $2,000.
Collier was released from the Tyler County Jail on Oct. 31.
For more information on inhalant abuse, visit www.inhalant.org.